1. Heat oven to 350 F. Rinse the lentils and drain well. Fill a large soup or stockpot with vegetable broth (or water) and add the lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until cooked, for about 30 minutes. Lentils need to be soft for the best results.
2. Drain thoroughly. Mash the lentils while they are still hot until they are creamy in texture but some whole lentils can be seen. Set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized skillet. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes, or until soft.
4. Combine the onion mixture, mashed lentils, cooked rice, salt, 1/4 cup of ketchup, sage, and Italian seasoning. Mix well.
5. Gently press the entire lentil mixture into a greased loaf pan. Coat the loaf with 1 or 2 tablespoons of the remaining ketchup.
6. Bake the lentil loaf for 1 hour, basting with additional ketchup every 15 minutes or so. Allow it to cool slightly for about 15 minutes before slicing and serving, as this will help the lentil loaf firm up.
7. Now enjoy!!